As Amy mentioned this weekend was a gorgeous fall weekend- warm sunny days, vibrant leaves, and cool crisp nights. The weather that makes me crave all things fall. This recipe fills that craving butternut squash and hearty comfort food. Yet it was quick and easy to allow for plenty of time to soak up the gorgeous weather!
- 1.5 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1.5 cups winter squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 small green or red pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 0.5 cup vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp Tamari sauce
- 1/4 cup mixture of fresh sage and thyme, chopped
- 1/8-1/4 cup sliced almonds
In a large sauce pan, saute the mushrooms, squash, onions, and green pepper in oil until crisp tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute more. Stir in the rice, broth, tamari sauce, and fresh herbs. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until squash is tender. Divide between ball jars and top with almonds. Makes 4 pint size ball jar servings.
Adapted from tasteofhome.com.
The fall colors