- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 smallish butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, halved or chopped as you prefer
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, diced fine
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- Pure maple syrup, to taste
- Sea salt
- A sprinkle of ginger and/or curry, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
Cook the red quinoa in a rice cooker, using a 1:2 ratio of 1 cup red quinoa to 2 cups water. As mentioned above, if you like it softer, add an additional 1/4 to 1/2 cup water. If you don’t have a rice cooker, cook the quinoa on the stove in a pot, according to package directions.
In a medium roasting pan add the butternut squash, cranberries, onion and garlic. Drizzle with a dash of olive oil, to coat. Add a teaspoon or two of pure maple syrup- not too much. Sprinkle with sea salt, ginger and a dash of curry. Toss everything together. Roast in the top half of the oven until the squash is tender- about 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a skillet and lightly toast the pecans, till fragrant.
In a large warmed serving bowl, add in the cooked quinoa and the roasted butternut mixture. Add in the toasted pecans, chopped parsley. Taste test and adjust seasoning. Drizzle with some fruity extra virgin olive oil and toss to coat. Serve warm.
Makes 4 servings.
Adapted from Gluten Free Goddess