“Irish Soda” Oatmeal Cake
- 1/2 cup oats (Gluten Free)
- sweetener, such as 1 and 1/2T agave or 1 pack stevia (I use maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup milk, creamer, juice, or water (I use water)
- heaping 1/16th tsp salt
- a bit over 1/8 tsp baking soda (This is just for the “Irish soda” flavor)
- handful raisins (I used 1T)
- Unless you enjoy the taste of fat-free baked goods, you can add 1-2T vegan butter (I use almond butter!). If you use oil, scale liquid back to 3T.
Preheat oven to 385 degrees. Combine dry ingredients, then add wet. Pour into a small baking pan, loaf pan, or 1-cup ramekin. Or you can use two 1/2-cup ramekins for baby oatmeal cakes.
Cook for 20 minutes, or until firm. Finally, set your oven to “high broil” for 3 more minutes, or until desired crispy-ness is reached (or simply just bake longer, but broiling gives it a nice crust).
I usually quadruple the recipe and bake it in a 9×9. I’ve made it three times in the last week….I’m kinda obsessed. 🙂 It’s delicious hot right out of the oven…or straight out of the fridge.
(Find more variations HERE…we also love the baked pumpkin!)